Chicken salad is a classic summertime dish. This low sodium chicken salad uses no-salt-added mayo and some salt-free spices to create a delicious low sodium meal for a picnic, cookout, or just a weekday lunch. You will love this delectable, tasty chicken salad.
To achieve the lowest sodium level possible, you will need to make your own mayonnaise to use as the base of this chicken salad. Relax, it is much easier than you think and it comes together in under ten minutes. Check out the recipe for no-salt-added mayonnaise.
Looking to make a sandwich? Keep the salt low by using Lavash Bread for a low sodium chicken salad wrap. You can also use King’s Hawaiian hamburger buns. These sweet rolls are lower in sodium than almost all other comparable bread rolls.
- 1/2 cup of no-salt-added mayonnaise
- 1 cup of celery, finely chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of no-salt-added lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons of dried minced onion
- 1.5 pounds of cooked chicken, shredded
TO COOK THE CHICKEN:
- Rinse 1.5 pounds of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts thoroughly and place them in a large pot of unsalted water. Turn on the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done (about 45 minutes to an hour). When you are ready, remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a plate. With two forks, shred the chicken.
ASSEMBLING THE SALAD:
- Put all ingredients - except mayonnaise - into a large bowl and toss together.
- Add the no-salt-added mayo to the bowl and stir gently until everything is thoroughly mixed. \
- It is THAT simple!
- Change up your chicken salad by adding a bit of curry powder into your mixture. A curry chicken salad is an excellent way to spice up leftovers.
- Occasionally, I’ll chop some grapes in half and add those to the chicken salad. The grapes provide a bit of unexpected sweetness to the dish. I also like adding in some slivered almonds. The almonds and the celery give it a great crunch. If you opt for the almonds, just make sure they are no-salt-added almond slivers.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For complete information please read the disclosures page (link at the bottom of this page).
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 Amount Per Serving Calories 321Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 232mgSodium 78mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 32g
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. Nutritional content may vary due to several factors such as how much of an ingredient is used vs. how much will actually be eaten, brand differences, and more. To ensure the most accurate nutritional information, the reader should make calculations based on the ingredients actually used, using their own preferred method, or consulting with a licensed nutritional expert. This Website is not intended as a source of nutritional or food safety advice, and its readers assume full responsibility for any decisions made regarding their own health and safety. Nutritional information calculated by Nutritionix