This low sodium chowder is creamy, comforting and full of flavor. Made with an abundance of corn, shredded chicken breast, and vegetables, this low salt soup is hard to resist. It has everything you’d want in a corn chowder and then some. Nothing fancy, just tasty low sodium homestyle comfort food at its best!
Low Sodium Chicken and Corn Chowder
Made with an abundance of corn, shredded chicken breast, and vegetables, this low salt soup is hard to resist.
- 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups of unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup of onion, chopped
- 1 cup of unsalted corn (canned, frozen, or fresh)
- 1 cup of sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- In a Dutch Oven, melt butter and sauté celery, onion, corn, and red pepper over medium-high heat for about five minutes, stirring frequently.
- When veggies have softened, add flour and stir until flour coats the vegetables, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk, pepper, and broth to the pan and mix well. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not allow it to come to a rapid boil.
- Add the cooked chicken, cover, and let simmer on low for another 20 minutes.
- Garnish with dried parsley or green onion if desired.
- You can use the corn of your choice: canned (unsalted), frozen, or fresh. But I would suggest making this at least once with some fresh summer corn while it is in season.
- I like using Wondra Gold Metal Quick-Mixing Flour in my soups. I find that the fine texture of Wondra dissolves more quickly than all-purpose flour, making it perfect to use in a soup or gravy.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For complete information please read the disclosures page (link at the bottom of this page).
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 Amount Per Serving Calories 145Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 35mgSodium 80mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 13g
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. Nutritional content may vary due to several factors such as how much of an ingredient is used vs. how much will actually be eaten, brand differences, and more. To ensure the most accurate nutritional information, the reader should make calculations based on the ingredients actually used, using their own preferred method, or consulting with a licensed nutritional expert. This Website is not intended as a source of nutritional or food safety advice, and its readers assume full responsibility for any decisions made regarding their own health and safety. Nutritional information calculated by Nutritionix