Every bite of this low sodium salmon with a maple and mustard glaze is sweet and bursting with flavor. This is the ultimate weeknight dinner because it takes mere minutes to cook in your air fryer. You’ll be impressed that a recipe with such minimal ingredients can yield a delicious low salt meal.
You can make this salmon dish two ways: one as a cooked down, thickened glaze drizzled over the top of your cooked fish or as a marinade. Check the recipe notes for marinade directions. The recipe at the bottom of this page outlines a tasty glaze.
Using the air fryer is super convenient and produces a tasty piece of fish. However, if you have the time and inclination to fire up the grill then, by all means, do it! I cook my maple glazed salmon on the grill a lot on summer weekends. There’s something about those grill marks that I can’t resist. But during the week, and all winter long, I opt for the quickness of my air fryer. Dinner doesn’t get much easier. Easy and healthy, I’m all in!
Selecting an Air Fryer
I use my air fryer quite a bit. I am someone that hates to keep appliances on my kitchen counters. Call me strange. (You wouldn’t be the first!) I just happen to like clean counters with zero clutter. But I find that I keep my air fryer on the counter since it is so frequently used. Therefore, I was in need of a good-looking appliance.
My first air fryer was a Faberware Air Fryer. I believe I purchased it during a Walmart Holiday Sale. I’ll be honest, it was a game-changer in my kitchen. In fact, I still have my original fryer as a secondary unit for when I’m cooking a big meal.
But the one thing that bothered me about that unit was the use of knobs to control the fryer. The time and the cooking temperature were set by cranking a knob. So I’d be left asking, is 400 degrees really 400 degrees? Or was it more like 380? Did I set that for 7 minutes or 9 minutes? I found it difficult to get accurate time/temp on my first-generation air fryer.
So when I set out to upgrade, I wanted a unit with a digital display. I really like my Instant Vortex Air Fryer. It was affordable and provides the accuracy I was seeking. Every meal I’ve made (which is a lot) with my air fryer has come out delicious!
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees
- In a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, melt unsalted butter. Add maple syrup, no salt added mustard, lemon juice, and minced garlic. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring regularly, until the mixture thickens slightly. This should take about 3 minutes. Once done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray both sides of salmon filets with olive oil spray. If desired, sprinkle with pepper. Place fish in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until fish is lightly browned and just beginning to flake easily.
- Plate fish directly out of the fryer and drizzle with maple mustard glaze.
- I’ll be honest, I typically double the recipe for the glaze. I like to generously drizzle onto the cooked salmon and then have extra maple mustard sauce on hand if needed. This can be especially helpful if you have someone in your house who might harbor reservations about the taste of salmon.
- I recommend using Grade A Pure Maple Syrup as opposed to a “commercial pancake” syrup. Yes, it can cost a bit more but the flavor is more intense and it has less “extra stuff” in the ingredients.
- Alternate Cooking Method: If you’ve got some extra time, this recipe works great as a marinade. Simply place all the ingredients - except the butter - in a large resealable freezer bag. Close bag while trying to remove as much air as possible. Gently massage the ingredients into the fish before placing the bag into the refrigerator for anywhere from 3 to 24 hours.
- If opting for the marinate method, you must discard any leftover marinade. Do not drizzle it onto cooked salmon! You can, however, brush any leftover marinade onto fish prior to cooking.
- Thankfully cooking salmon in the air fryer does not make the house smell, which is another great reason to cook it this way.
- It is perfectly fine to use frozen salmon filets. Just be sure to thaw the fish completely before beginning.
- Personally, I like salmon filets without the skin. If you are using salmon with the skin, cook them skin side down in the air fryer.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For complete information please read the disclosures page (link at the bottom of this page).
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 Amount Per Serving Calories 210Total Fat 2.5gSaturated Fat .5gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 45mgSodium 234mgFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 50g
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. Nutritional content may vary due to several factors such as how much of an ingredient is used vs. how much will actually be eaten, brand differences, and more. To ensure the most accurate nutritional information, the reader should make calculations based on the ingredients actually used, using their own preferred method, or consulting with a licensed nutritional expert. This Website is not intended as a source of nutritional or food safety advice, and its readers assume full responsibility for any decisions made regarding their own health and safety. Nutritional information calculated by Nutritionix