Restaurant-Style Spanish Rice (aka Mexican Rice), is super easy to make, low in sodium, and tastes as if it came straight from the restaurant. This dish is a perfect companion to chicken or as a side for your low sodium taco night!
Different varieties/brands of rice have an array of different directions when it comes to the amount of water and cooking times. Therefore, it makes sense to pay attention to the directions on the back of the bag. The cooking time and liquid I listed below was based on the Mahatma rice I was using. But double-check your bag!
Cooking Spanish Rice is just like cooking a regular pot of rice. But instead of water and butter, you are using broth, tomatoes, and spices.
Low Sodium Spanish Rice
Restaurant-Style Spanish Rice (aka Mexican Rice), is super easy to make, low in sodium, and tastes as if it came straight from the restaurant.
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of salt-free chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of Spanish paprika
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (12 oz) of No Salt Added Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 cups of long-grain white rice
- 2 cups of unsalted chicken broth
- In a dutch oven, heat oil.
- Add uncooked rice, peppers, and onions. Saute - stirring frequently - until the rice is golden brown and the peppers and onions have become tender.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and water. Add spices and stir.
- Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the rice has fully cooked. Remember to stir occasionally.
- Can this dish be made with brown rice? Brown rice can definitely be used in place of white rice. Just add an additional 1/3 cup of water per cup of brown rice and let simmer longer- until the brown rice reaches your desired texture.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For complete information please read the disclosures page (link at the bottom of this page).
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 Amount Per Serving Calories 142Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 52mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 3g
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. Nutritional content may vary due to several factors such as how much of an ingredient is used vs. how much will actually be eaten, brand differences, and more. To ensure the most accurate nutritional information, the reader should make calculations based on the ingredients actually used, using their own preferred method, or consulting with a licensed nutritional expert. This Website is not intended as a source of nutritional or food safety advice, and its readers assume full responsibility for any decisions made regarding their own health and safety. Nutritional information calculated by Nutritionix