Here’s a low salt version of a childhood favorite: Sloppy Joes. The sweet, the savory, the MESS! It is such a fun meal, even as an adult. Now you can have a low sodium version of a classic family dinner. This is a kid-friendly meal and trust me, your child won’t miss the salt.
Canned sloppy joe mixes like Manwich promote themselves as an easy way to make sloppy joes… but in reality, homemade sloppy joes are JUST as easy to make! Homemade low sodium sloppy joes are incredibly easy to make and come together in one skillet in about 20 minutes or so. Plus by not using that canned sauce, you save a tremendous amount of salt.
- 2 teaspoons of dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt free chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of cider vinegar
- 1 cup no salt added ketchup
- In a large bowl add garlic powder, ground dried mustard, salt-free chili powder, black pepper, water, cider vinegar, and ketchup. Wisk together until combine and set aside.
- Place ground beef and dried minced onion into a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until beef is brown. Be sure to break up the beef into small chunks.
- Add your bowl of ingredients to the beef and onions. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- This recipe uses homemade no salt added ketchup. This tasty ketchup comes together in a matter of minutes. But if you don’t have time to whip up a batch, you can buy reduced-sodium ketchup from Walmart and Sprouts. Heinz offers no-salt ketchup, but a word of warning it has high levels of potassium, which may not be suitable for everyone.
- What are some ways to enhance your sloppy joes? Toss in some finely chopped green and red peppers. Add a tablespoon of brown sugar. The options are virtually endless!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For complete information please read the disclosures page (link at the bottom of this page).
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 Amount Per Serving Calories 271Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 101mgSodium 52mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 33g
Nutritional information is provided as an estimate. Nutritional content may vary due to several factors such as how much of an ingredient is used vs. how much will actually be eaten, brand differences, and more. To ensure the most accurate nutritional information, the reader should make calculations based on the ingredients actually used, using their own preferred method, or consulting with a licensed nutritional expert. This Website is not intended as a source of nutritional or food safety advice, and its readers assume full responsibility for any decisions made regarding their own health and safety. Nutritional information calculated by Nutritionix